Loyalty cards are a fundamental tool for the implementation of relationship marketing projects. They are a status symbol and identification for consumers participating in a loyalty program.
The use of loyalty card is a primary choice to improve service quality and create a community of consumers where customers classes can be segmented by user profiles. Working on user segments most suitable promotional activities can be identified.
Allow a tangible improvement of marketing strategies aimed at increasing sales and support customers.
The main goal of a loyalty program is the increase and diversification of purchases of each customer.
The goal of relationship marketing is, in fact, to create a physical bond between the company and the customer.
The loyalty card is a key tool to enhance the potential of CRM functions as it allows to establish the relationship with the customer at the time of each purchase.
The use of the loyalty card allows to know about the customers, their spending habits, the average amount of receipts, purchase frequency, etc.
In summary, the benefits that can be gained from the use of a loyalty card are:
- create customers fidelization through rewarding policies
- checks the customer flows in real time
- encourages the repurchase
- stimulates the sell-out
- measure the lifetime of the customer
- evaluates the redemption of the promotional
- enhances existing campaigns
Software Design has developed a management system for virtual loyalty card based on the use of internet technologies and smartphones, although printable on paper with personal instruments or at airport Info-points for special situations. Software Design system provides interoperability web tools both for customers and reselling partners. Also it allows to define multiple types of loyalty cards for the various partners participating in the program. For each type of card, the enrolled partner can define how to use their points and possibly allow at its shop the use of points earned in transactions carried out by the same customer in other shops (other partners).
The points earned give the opportunity, through the functions of the customer portal, to select, through a web catalogue, a few types of coupons that entitle to three types of awards (coupons): gifts, percentage discounts, discounts in absolute value. The temporal validity and available quantities of coupons can be entered into the system directly by the partners through a dedicated portal.
Coupons configured by partners, dynamically build up the catalog of prizes available in real-time for customers. The system allows to define a “welcome package” including a free number of coupons when registering to the loyalty program.
Coupons are electronic so that there is no need to print. The loyalty card itself will automatically select the coupons applicable at the partner site.
Prizes can be used at the point of delivery in different ways depending on the nature of the service:
- if the operator has the ShopView system (cash shop on the net):
- the operator can read the fidelity card via a barcode reader connected to a tablet or via a web interface for external partners
- view the coupons pertaining to the specific associated partner code
- select a coupon and override the validity so that it can no longer be reused
- in case of automatic systems as Fast Track and VIP Lounge:
- the passenger places the fidelity card near to the card reader
- the system:
- recognizes the existence and validity of a coupon for the specific service,
- enables the passage as in the case with the normal ticket,
- sanctions the use of coupons
- in the case of pre-booking parking system:
- the passenger inserts the code of loyalty card bookings
- the system verifies the existence and validity of a coupon parking and if valid:
- apply the discount
- sanctions the use of coupons
- in the case of cash parking system:
- the passenger approaches the loyalty card or boarding pass near to the barcode reader of the automatic cash,
- the barcode is sent to a Barcode Gateway belonging to the airport system and, depending on the type of barcode, a revision of the price to be paid is applied :
- When reading a boarding pass, the system checks the validity of the card and the presence of a “Airline DiscountContract” and generates the new discounted price to pay
- When reading a fidelity card, the system checks for a coupon valid and if any apply the discount and returns the new price to pay.
- Upon completion of purchase, the system recognizes the points for the relative amount and in case it bans the use of the coupon or the boarding pass so they can no longer be used.
The use of the fidelity card allows to know the customers, their spending habits, the average amount of receipts, the frequency of purchase, etc.
In short, the advantages that can be gained by using a fidelity card are:
“It helps to identify and manage the profiles of customers acquired and potential, so as to allow the development of strategies to maximize profits trying to understand needs and expectations”
“It supports various business areas in the development of the activities: acquisition and management of orders, supply-chain for the interaction with suppliers and communication with customers”
“Organize knowledge through the analytical collection of data and feedback from outside, useful for decision-making management”
“It allows to establish personalized relationships with the customer through the multiple channels of communication with which the company interacts”
“It is useful in the management of products, catalogs, price lists, orders, but especially in the sales process which follows all the phases”
- Retailer configuration. The configurable fields are: Retailer code, Company name, Contacts, Logo, Points of Sale, list of card types associated with the Retailer. For each type of card in the list is associated the way to use the points
- Configuration of cards types. The system allows you to manage multiple programs and therefore more types of cards. Each paper typology is qualified with the following attributes: description, title, logo, graphic background, validity period, thresholds for passing status, assignable points for each registered flight and for each parking euro purchased in a differentiated by status.
- Configuration of prizes. In addition to the description of the prize, each prize included in the catalog is characterized by a series of attributes that characterize the mode of operation
- User registration. The user registration, if carried out by a portal directly from the passenger, requires treatments and authorizations through the following functions:
- Card management. The function allows the presentation of loyalty cards for each member with all the detailed information
The most relevant features of this environment are:
- retailer configuration. The configurable fields are: Retailer code, Company name, Contacts, Logo, Points of Sale, list of card types associated with the Retailer. For each type of card in the list is associated the way to use the points:
- Points from others: to indicate if retailer premiums can be booked with points from purchases made at other retailers
- Points for others: to indicate if the points of the retailer can be used to reserve prizes made available by other retailers
- configuration of cards types. The system allows you to manage multiple programs and therefore more types of cards. Each paper typology is qualified with the following attributes: description, title, logo, graphic background, validity period, thresholds for passing status, assignable points for each registered flight and for each parking euro purchased in a differentiated by status.
- configuration of prizes. In addition to the description of the prize, each prize included in the catalog is characterized by a series of attributes that characterize the mode of operation:
- How to use: how to use the prize
- Points needed: points needed to acquire the prize
- Welcome package: flag indicating whether the prize belongs to the welcome package
- Reservation period: indicates the period within which it is possible to reserve the prize
- Maximum use date: indicates the date after which the prize can no longer be used and the voucher will no longer be valid
- CardType: type of card to which the award is associated
- Logo: Image to be used as the Logo of the prize
- Sales outlets: list of sales points at the airport
- Type: absolute discounts, percentage discounts, premium
- Multiplicity: single, multiple or infinite
- user registration. The user registration, if carried out by a portal directly from the passenger, requires treatments and authorizations through the following functions:
- accept a subscription request
- refuse a subscription request
- create a new customer
- modify the data of a customer including the association of one or more cards and the relative qualification of each specific card
- save the changes made
- abort the change session in progress
- delete a customer
- search for the customers that map the set search values
- card management. The function allows the presentation of loyalty cards for each member with all the detailed information: points currently available, current status, date of acquisition of the Status, date of expiration of the Status, number of flights purchased in the current Status period, amount of parking in the current Status period. Furthermore, manual forcing is allowed to rectify the Status and Points data managed automatically by the system. All corrections are recorded in the hystory with explicit causal: suspension / card enabling, manual status assignment, manual point assignment, extension of a card’s status period.
The passenger, by selecting the “Details” function, a detailed description of the prize is presented
From the web the passenger can easily perform the following functions:
- user registration
- insert / modify personal data,
- paper creation request,
- change Password
- password recovery,
- registration cancellation
- Status card with presentation of credit transaction log and acquired vouchers
- Print fidelity card on paper
- Voucher acquisition
The Pax Portal consists of a web system for end users that provides the following features:
- presentation of the regulation
- consultation of the catalog of prizes. A sliding bar allows you to select the range of points of interest by presenting only the prizes that require a number of points in the range. The “Book” button, present on each item in the catalog, is enabled only if the user is logged in and if the number of available points is sufficient for booking the relative prize.
- user registration
- card status with credit transaction log acknowledgment and acquired vouchers
- print fidelity card on paper
- voucher acquisition
All operations available on the passenger portal are subject to profiling (username and password) in order to guarantee the highest levels of control over the correctness of the communication and management policies.
On the Web forms of the site the current Status is presented together with the user’s name.
The passenger portal can be managed indifferently from desktops, tablets and smartphones. Responsive logic automatically adjusts the interfaces to the size of the device screen.
The loyalty system is also hosted on Infopoint airport to manage loyalty services even in the absence of a smartphone device. The services made available on these devices are:
- check status card and voucher points,
- print loyalty card to be used to take advantage of the coupons acquired by presenting the paper barcode to readers of the points of use,
- presentation of static pages of the airport services card.
- retailer data configuration
- entry of prizes with definition of the period of validity and of the points necessary to obtain the same
- all transactions carried out on the retailer portal are subject to profiling in order to guarantee the highest levels of control over the correctness of the communication and management policies.
Based on this breakdown, each exhibitor can decide whether to assign coupons or discounts based on the type of points (relating to his / her financial year, total).
The extra vouchers management function is designed to allow the possibility of using extra Airport Fidelity vouchers in the eCommerce system, generated only for e-commerce users and not linked to fidelity cards (for example, the case of vouchers from to recognize for a wrong payment).
Compared to the fidelity vouchers, the extra ones have a different treatment regulated by the following principles:
- the “Amount” vouchers are managed with the scaling logic. Unless the voucher validity period is managed, the voucher can be used in multiple purchase sessions
- vouchers are transferable, so it is not said that the recipient of a voucher is then the one who actually uses it. For this reason the system registers both the first recipient of the coupon and the user who actually used it (email)
- unlike the fidelity vouchers, the discount can be combined with the online offers.
- they are not presented in the benefits catalog
- the extra voucher is associated with a specific product
The configuration of the vouchers is carried out by means of a dedicated mask very similar to that relating to the fidelity vouchers but with the following differentiations:
- presence of the following additional attributes:
- type of product to which the voucher is associable
- only One Shot type
- only% type or absolute value (no Gift)
- the sending of the extra vouchers is made through the exploitation of the CRM target lists where applicable or from excel sheets rather than manual insertions.
When sending, the amount of vouchers to be sent for each recipient is set. In the event that the quantity is multiple, all the vouchers are entered in a single email per recipient.
For each purchase the points are credited on the basis of the amount directly by the field systems
Four levels of Status are managed (Standard, Executive, Privilege, Gold) reachable thanks to the accumulation of points that can be recorded through:
- use boarding card for flights departing from the airport of belonging
- purchase parking at the airport
- purchase of other services (Fast Track, Vip Room, shop, …)
Airpot Fidelity Statuses
- registration of m flights departing from the airport or
- cumulative expenditure at parking lots and Sala Vip above a predefined threshold.